Welcome, this ADU ( accessory dwelling unit ) conversion was a garage for a house built in 1950 which at some point had an additional slab on grade (concrete foundation) installed to facilitate a bathroom and kitchen.
Some interested facts about the project:
Project cost to date of this posting this is aprox, $75,000 (3-29-20) This without the new kitchen, bathroom or flooring installed.
Why so much you may ask? I will briefly describe the larger cost which are also represented by the images, starting with the exterior:
- The roof was very flat and had to be removed and a new larger roof built. If you look closely at the finished roof you will see that there are no vents coming up through the roof which gives the owner an exceptional view from the house above.
- A new open post & beamed veranda was install over the north, south & east end of the ADU with a very high end tongue and groove soffit was install all around the exterior over hang including the new veranda.
- The lower part of the east end wall and foundation had to be rebuilt and a french drain installed.
- Convert the ADU from a two car garage to a one car garage with bedroom/living room.
- Convert the hot water heater to a on demand hot water heater.
- Create a mechanical room for the On Demand Hot Water System, Split HVAC, exterior landscape lighting transformer, internet junction box, etc..